Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Motivation You May Be Missing


I often hear people say they want to get started on a workout routine and just don't know where to start. My advice is.....just start today! If you say I'll start Monday, or I'll start tomorrow, often times we find a reason to not start that day and then we struggle to start. Let me tell you this--there will never be a perfect day to start unless that day is today. Here's some simple suggestions to get started on an easier foot:
Start by doing 25 push ups, sit ups and squats each evening before bed. After 2 weeks of that, move to doing 25 in the morning and 25 at night. This is a good one because it takes you about 10-15 minutes so you don't have the time excuse.
Start by going on a few leisurely runs. Don't plan how long or how far, just run to clear your head and enjoy the scenery. I like to find new trails or new neighborhoods to run in to change up the scenery. Sometimes that gives me the new kick to my workouts that I need.
Join a new fitness class. Many gyms offer classes that you can join....including ours! There's currently a boot camp going on in mornings or afternoons as well as a HIIT (high intensity interval training) in the mornings. Classes offer accountablity and a fun way to get moving. At our classes I offer exercise and nutrition tips and am available for questions.
Find a fun activity outside. My husband really enjoys playing tennis and basketball together and I recently started biking with my parents. Not only does that get you moving but it gives you an opportunity to work on a relationship with a spouse, friend or family member.
I encourage everyone to take advantage of these last few weeks of gorgeous weather before we can't play outside for a few months. Just get out and get moving!

--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment