Monday, February 11, 2013

Veggie Variations

Here are a few different veggie variations you can try that we used over the weekend...

Borrowed photo, but this is
exactly what our looked like!
Brussel Sprouts
2T Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
3-4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
approx. 1 tsp salt
1/2lb brussel sprouts, cut in half

Heat olive oil or coconut oil in a skillet with some garlic and sea salt. 
Cut sprouts in half and remove any wilted leaves. 
Place them flat side down in the skillet and cook a few minutes until they start to turn golden brown. At this point I flip them over (using tongs), cover, and cook about 4 more minutes on low heat. 
Enjoy!


Look at the bright color!
Beets
I LOVE beets! I simply use a veggie peeler to remove the skin, slice into thick slices, and boil/steam until soft! Beets make a great topping for salads (Beets + Feta = WOW!) or as a side. I usually just eat them plain and cold! 


Zucchini Spaghetti
I think I've posted this before, but here's one way we love zucchini. 

2 zucchini
2T Olive Oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
salt, optional
1 1/2c marinara or pasta sauce--watch for the sugar/carb levels! Hint--look at the more pricey sauces that don't have name brands. 
1/2c Romano Cheese, optional

We use a veggie slicer that cuts veggies into skinny sticks. I saute the zucchini with olive oil, garlic, and sprinkle of salt. When it's cooked through, I add in some sauce and heat. This week we used Newman's Own Spicy Sausage Meat Sauce. The hubby was excited when he discovered his veggies had sausage in them! Finally, I melted some Romano cheese on top and served. It would be much healthier without the cheese and sausage, but it was a great substitute for wheat pasta! 

No comments:

Post a Comment