Monday, November 5, 2012

Social Media Wellness

I love technology. I was the ultimate computer geek in high school and earned the computer department award my senior year. I got teased about my computer skills but then begged to solve everyone's computer problems. Now I spend most of my time online in social media forums. 

What I like most about being online is the wealth of information that is available in an instant. It's important to know which sources are reliable and which ones are garbage, but for the most part I've found some pretty awesome sites for health and wellness information. 

Here are some social media wellness tips:

Facebook
Follow the sites that fit your lifestyle, or a lifestyle you desire. For example, I follow a Paleo diet so I "Like" paleo sites and products. I also follow businesses that promote exercise (Crossfit) and overall wellness. And of course, I follow countless awesome chiropractors because they know how to balance it all together. I avoid following businesses that sell cupcakes and candy. That would be dangerous.

Pinterest
I love Pinterest. I am one of those people who pins hundreds of things and actually accomplishes most of them. Here's my favorite tip: Create two separate boards for food related pins. One of mine is called "Fun Food" which I pin anything that sounds yummy but not Paleo/Primal, and one board called "Paleo/Primal" for healthy foods. I love having these food separated because when I am meal-planning for the week, I only look at the Primal/Paleo board for ideas and avoid being tempted by foods with grains/dairy. Most of the "Fun Food" ones are still healthy but I save these for attending pot lucks and holiday meals. I also have a board for Fitness & Health where I pin quick, at-home workouts. The workouts have all been great so far!

Check out my personal Pinterest page for ideas!

When you are searching for ideas or recipes, try searching for boards instead of just pins. For example, if I am looking for a new workout, I search for "Crossfit workout" boards and can usually find lots of great boards to start following too. 

Blogs
There are lots of great blogs out there. Like Facebook, I search for keywords that suit my lifestyle. I google "Gluten Free Recipes Blog" and can find lots of great blogs by people who have put a lot of effort into creating a great, free resource for others. 

Want a good place to start? Try these!





No comments:

Post a Comment