Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hunting and Gathering--How the Nyberg's Grocery Shop

When I was a 5th grade teacher, I always enjoyed teaching about Native Americans, pilgrims, and Thanksgiving. I feel like so early settlers--trying to figure out the best way to get food and where to find it. Do I grow it? Trade for it? Is it in season?

I am a hunter-gatherer grocery shopped. I bet at least once a weeks someone asks us, "So what do you think of the new Whole Foods?" The truth? I love it. What about Trader Joe's? I love it. What about the new Hy-Vee? I love it. What about Gateway Market? I love it. Costco? I love it. 

I typically make a few trips for food each week because 1) I have three guys and a dog in the house, and 2) we need fresh food. Hunting and gathering works well for this lifestyle because I can visit a few different stores throughout the week and get what I need. If you think this sounds expensive, I would love to compare budgets with you. I bet I spend FAR LESS on eating healthy than most families spend on the Standard American Diet (SAD)!!

Each store offers different things that I need to make sure our family eats healthy. I love to make protein snack mixes, but I can't get everything at one store. Here's the recipe and where to gather your supplies at:

Protein Mix

  • Beef Jerkey free from Nitrates--Trader Joe's. It's the only place I found with decent packaged jerky. Cut it up into small pieces.
  • Dried Fruit--Unsweetened--Also from Trader Joe's. I LOVE dried strawberries and I always cut them up too.
  • Nuts--Raw from the Hy-Vee Health Market, Trader Joes, or Gateway Market. You can get these as a bulk item, but those bins always make me nervous. How long has the food been in those things?
  • Seeds--Raw, unsalted--anywhere. 
  • Raw Coconut--Gateway Market. 
Mix about a cup of each ingredient in a large bowl. Then put into small snack containers. I keep mine in my work bag, the kitchen for snacking, in my purse, and in my front seat. That way I don't feel tempted to get something fast and junky. I'm sure there is a good formula for fats to proteins to carbs to follow, but I don't for these snacks. Rebel! 

Sometimes I get groceries at Target, but I can never get a week's worth of groceries only there. If I need to get everything at one place, I usually hit Hy-Vee Health Market on Wednesdays when everything is on sale. If you want good beef, check out their Health Market freezer. I bet I could get everything at Whole Foods, but I'm just not in that area often and the store overwhelms me. Actually, the shoppers overwhelm me. I need to go once by myself to research the store more. 

Oh, and if you aren't familiar with Prudent Produce Organic Delivery Service--check them out TODAY! (I'm currently watching our two year old dig through today's delivery for fresh bananas and apples.) 

Where do you like to shop? One store? Many stores? 

--Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment