Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Katie's New Wellness Challenge

I've recently been hunting for a new wellness challenge. I saw Dr. Denise of 8 Weeks to Wellness posted this book as a good starting place for a wellness plan. I completed 8 Weeks to Wellness myself last spring and lost almost 7% body fat, 22lbs, and felt amazing. I've since kept off all the weight, but I feel like my body is not the same quality it was at the end of 8WW. I know I could do it again pretty easily, but I wanted to try something different just for fun. 



I've been spending the last two weeks reading about the Paleo and Primal way of living. Very basically, this means just eating meat and plants. No dairy. No grains. Your life is supposed to be as close to a hunter-gatherer's way of life as possible. I was interested in this for a few reasons:


  • Eating 2-3 meals per day with snacks is great for my lifestyle
  • Increased energy (taking care of two boys and being awake as a doula for days at a time requires some energy) 
  • Intermittent Fasting (great for my life as a doula; sometimes eating isn't an option)
  • Balanced approached to living--eating, exercising, slowing life down, etc. 
  • Adding lots of flavor and spices to meals (a personal goal of mine)
  • A "kick in the butt" for continued weight loss and breaking some bad habits I've developed
  • Workouts are short and sweet, but quite intense 
Today I started eating and living "Primally". So far, so good. 

Here's an idea for you to try: Salads in a Jar

Layer your basic salad ingredients in a quart-sized Mason jar. Start with dressing and end with lettuce. As long as they don't touch, your salad will stay fresh for up to a week in the fridge. I made four salads last night and stuck them in the fridge. All I need to do is turn them over, shake, and eat!  This is truly FAST FOOD! 



(My dressing is EVOO, lemon juice, and Italian Seasonings from Tastefully Simple). 




No comments:

Post a Comment