Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year, New Food

I think I finally convinced Dr. Hubby to give Paleo eating a try. He is definitely stronger and leaner than ever, but he wants to get some more muscle definition and I think it will help with his allergies as well. We are usually pretty "clean" eaters anyway, but we are going completely grain-dairy-soy-processed food-free for 21 days based on the book "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson

We are trying not to use the phrase New Year's Resolution in regards to eating Paleo/Primal, but we certainly could use a strict eating plan for a few weeks since we indulged quite often over the holidays. One of my favorite Christmas presents was a new cookbook from my father-in-law called "Paleo Comfort Foods" by Charles & Julie Mayfield.  I thought it would be fun to start with some of our favorites like Barbecue Chicken and Veggies. 

I can never make a recipe exactly the way it says in the book, but I tried to stick pretty close to the recipe today. Sometimes I deviate because I don't have or like a certain ingredient, other times I'm too lazy to measure things out. :) 

I taught myself how to cut apart a whole fryer chicken today (we get ours from Prudent Produce) by watching a YouTube Video. I cooked the chicken pieces in the crock pot today and will pull off the chicken later. I took the carcass and some leftover veggies like celery, carrots, and onions, and put them in a stock pot filled with water. I simmered the stock pot for a few hours and then strained the liquid into a dish for Chicken Stock/Broth. Yum!! 

I made the BBQ sauce from the cookbook, and it smells WONDERFUL and a bit spicy too. It's nice to be able use fresh ingredients and spices to make something we love without all of the preservatives from the store. I also tried making Paleo Mayo, and it was a HUGE success too! I've never tried making mayo from scratch, but it was quite easy. 


So far, we're off to a good start! Have you found a new recipe that will help you stick to your health goals? If so, share it with us!!

Happy New Year!

--Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment