Saturday, January 5, 2013

Returning to the gym. Not good.

I took a few weeks off from going to the gym (Crossfit 515) for a few weeks over winter break while the boys were home. Between bad weather, new babies, and kids at home, I decided home workouts would be the way to go. I tried a few of the workouts on our Pinterest Page and decided that was good enough. Yesterday I returned to the gym for the infamous Crossfit workout called Fran.

The fastest Fran times are under 3 minutes for the entire workout. It's a seemingly simple workout of 21-15-9 Thrusters and pull-ups. And it's fast and short for a workout. I was a WRECK. I tore open my hand, had to use more help with pull-up bands than I've used in a LONG time, and am incredibly sore today. I'm a pretty optimistic person, but that workout was really tough for me and I hated it. My time--10:21. Ick! 
This seemed to fit my feelings of the workout.

However, here's why I vowed to go back to the gym and not workout at home:

  • I work harder and push myself more at the gym. 
  • I like the challenge of a different workout at the gym. 
  • I can lift weights at the gym. Heavy weights. Over my head. I LOVE that! 
  • Not making any excuses. At home--lots of reasons/excuses to not work hard. At the gym--none. 
  • Motivation from my fellow Crossfitters. 
  • RESULTS. Big time results & improvement in overall strength & endurance. 
  • Talking to other people besides my kids.
  • Being motivated to eat healthy by healthier people than me. 
  • Seeing a really cute baby there. I was his doula. :) 
This is why I go back to the gym. I still gained muscle strength and had a great workout. 
I wish I was a person that could workout really hard at home religiously. I'm not that kind of person (I don't know many people who are). I like short, intense workouts and I've found a place that works for me. I need to go to a gym and have accountability from others. I need to have motivation from others to keep me going. Most important, I NEED results. 

Did you know that YOU can workout at Waukee Wellness--even if you're not a current patient? Check out our info on fitness classes, personal training, and 8 Weeks to Wellness! We'd love to help you with your fitness goals, provide a supportive exercise environment, and set you up for impressive RESULTS too! 

Walking/Running at home is not enough. Men AND Women need resistance and weight training. (Another blog post for another day.)  What are YOU doing to get your exercise in regularly? What is working for you? I'd love to hear your ideas too!

--Katie




No comments:

Post a Comment