Monday, January 28, 2013

Onion Goggles and Pig Cutting Boards

I have two favorite kitchen items that get used almost every night when I'm preparing dinner. 


First, Onion Goggles. My eyes are super sensitive to onions and I've tried every trick in the book to keep from crying when cutting up this veggie. One year I received TWO pairs for Christmas! I also like to wear them on my head like a headband during dinner.

Second, Pig Shaped Cutting Boards. These were hand-made and given to use for a wedding gift 10 years ago. This is a set of four awesome boards in different sizes. I use all four every night. I often complain at home that if I just prepared something from a box, there would be much less to clean up at night. No boxed or canned foods for us though. Lots of fresh meats and veggies mean lots of cutting (and cutting boards) for me. This has prompted me to create one-skillet meals as much as possible. (See Katie's Chicken and Ben's Chicken for two started recipes.)

Here's another idea for a one skillet dinner:

Spaghetti Squash & Sauce

  1. Cook one spaghetti squash in the microwave or oven. Directions Here
  2. Brown 1 lb of turkey sausage, ground beef, or other sausage in a large skillet.
  3. Add one large jar of low-sugar marinara--hint: the healthiest sauces are the ones that are a bit higher in price. We tried to find sauce with around 4 net carbs per serving. 
  4. Add squash noodles to the skillet. 
  5. Stir everything together and serve hot! Yum! 
  6. Optional: Top with Parmesan cheese. 


No comments:

Post a Comment