Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Power Hour--Not Just A Drinking Game


Let's face it-everyone these days is stressed out about something and most of us have lost sight of how to deal with it. One thing I learned from going through the 8 Weeks to Wellness program and now working so closely with it for the past 2 years is just that-handling my stress. New house, change of positions here, new marriage, family stress and everything else a normal person encounters at my age has all hit me (and my friends) but it's nice to know how to deal with it....especially after watching some of my friends struggle so much with it. 

8 Weeks to Wellness and Dr. Wes have taught me several ways to manage my stress levels-including adjustments, massages, exercise, mediation and my power hour each morning. Ok I will be honest-I've always been good at exercising when stressed and have never fallen into the trap of just eating my lights out. It just clicks with me-why eat 5 cookies when I'm stressed-doesn't that just add stress and worsen the situation? I get regular adjustments and massages, but the meditation has been a new thing on my to do list. I can't say I'm an expert at it quite yet, but it is something I'm definitely improving on. 

And lastly my power hour-ever heard of such a thing? I actually had started doing this in college before I got hired here, but it's so nice to be in an environment that encourages I keep that up. A power hour is whatever amount of time you have in the morning (honestly when I'm up at 3:45am there is not an hour of time I can allow, but other mornings I spend at least an hour doing this) spent reading, praying, and mediating. Beyond praying and reading my books, I enjoy thinking about my day and what I want to get out of it. Who do I want to help? How many things am I going to do that day to serve others? What type of choices am I going to make that day-healthy lunch, exercise, will I have a positive attitude? I find that when I get this in every day my days go much better and I feel more fulfilled at the end of them.

I challenge everyone to try the power hour-you can even start with as little as 5-10 minutes and work your way up. 

Leave a comment on how your first week of power hours go!

--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment